Premature & Retarded Ejaculation
Sexual problems in men, while not life-threatening ailments, often have considerable psychological impact on their sufferers. They include erectile dysfunction (see the topic Erectile Dysfunction), retarded ejaculation and premature ejaculation.
Probably this is the most common sexual problem for men and yet it is very difficult to define, as each man perceives premature ejaculation differently. Some men consider that ejaculating before his partner is ready is the major symptom. Others have trouble before penetration while others ejaculate very quickly after penetration.
In the majority of cases premature ejaculation is due to psychological reasons. Anxiety to perform with a new partner adequately and excitement are the main reasons for this problem. Studies show that at least 70% of men suffer from premature ejaculation at one time or another.
Some suggestions for improved control include:
• Think about other things rather than sex during the act.
• Wear a condom to make the penis less sensitive.
• Use a local anaesthetic cream or spray on the penis before having sex.
• Gripping the bottom of the penis at the end of the shaft with two fingers on one side and the thumb on the other.
• Ask your partner to gently pull down the testicles into the scrotum.
Some men have a problem ejaculating and this is called retarded ejaculation. Studies show that one of the main reasons for this is tiredness. Other medical conditions such as diabetes or an enlarged prostate gland may contribute to this sexual dysfunction.
Beware of prescription drugs that may also cause retarded ejaculation. They include drugs for high blood pressure and anti-depressants including the tricyclic drugs.
As with all conditions your Doctor should be consulted to diagnose and treat this condition.
Ask your Doctor about the latest advice on this ailment.
Your Doctor will check all the possible reasons and then give you helpful advice on what to do. Remember in many cases the main problem is psychological.
This diet should revolve around wholesome foods to make the body as healthy as possible. Psychological health is dependent on a number of nutrients (among other things) and a varied diet high in unprocessed, natural foods is the best way to ensure full coverage of these nutrients.
Moderate the so-called fast foods and concentrate on all the fresh and healthy varieties.
Always buy fresh green, leafy, vegetables. Cook lightly only. Oysters, seafood and lean red meat are good because of their zinc content, a nutrient commonly associated with male sexual function. Rolled Oats are believed to be a good food for the nervous system due to their high phosphorus content. Watch the amount of sugar in the diet and avoid cakes, hot pies, biscuits, malted milks, sausage rolls etc. because of their high sugar and saturated fat content.
Try to include whole grains in the diet as refined grains such as white flour are often stripped of important nutrients during processing.
Traditional Chinese medicine has identified many remedies believed to improve male sexual function. Some of these herbal remedies have been investigated through modern research and found to have adaptogenic (stress relieving) qualities. The most widely recommended Chinese herb for problems of this nature is Panax ginseng, traditionally used as a tonic for older men to improve virility and vitality. While research has not specifically focused on its effects on sexual function, ginseng does have a number of pharmacologically active components found to improve the body's response to stress, which has been recognised as a significant factor in many instances of male sexual dysfunction. Daily dosages of ginseng may be of some benefit in relieving some forms of male sexual dysfunction.
Ask your MedAux Pharmacist for advice.
1. Follow the Diet Hints.
2. Ask your Pharmacist to check on your medication to see if your prescription drugs are causing a problem.
3. Your Pharmacist may show you a special local anesthetic spray to use to help with premature ejaculation.
4. Avoid stress. Relaxation techniques and/or exercise may relieve anxiety and improve general health.
5. Drink alcohol in moderation only
6. Smoking narrows the blood vessels. If you need help to quit, ask your MedAux Pharmacist for suggestions.
7. If the diet is inadequate consider some nutritional supplements.